Yesterday, I finished reading And Then, Boom! by Lisa Fipps. This realistic fiction novel in verse is about Joseph "Joe" Oak, an eleven-year-old boy who lives with his grandmother because his mom leaves him whenever she gets "the itch" and copes with his feelings by drawing and making references to comic book characters. After Joe and Grandmum lose their house, Joe's friend, Nick, helps them find a home in his trailer park. When tragedy strikes, Joe's mom is suddenly in his life again. Joe is hopeful that maybe this time will be different and she'll stay, but soon she leaves again and he is left to fend for himself. Keeping his circumstances a secret because he's afraid of foster care, he rescues a dog and her two puppies. Although he's less lonely, it becomes increasingly harder for him to survive as his home's utilities are shut off due to bill's not being paid and he briefly resorts to dumpster diving for food. With the arrival of a storm after his twelfth birthday, Joe must make quick decisions to save himself and his dogs. While things seem lost afterwards, a new opportunity is presented to Joe.
Although this story is heavy at times, it was engaging and inspirational. I was truly devastated when Grandmum passed away and tears may have been shed, but I cared so much about what happened to Joe as he struggled from poverty. I enjoyed his friendships with Nick and Hakeem and he had some amazing adults in his life who looked out for him, including his sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Swan, and the owner of the mobile home park, Uncle Frankie. I also liked how Joe took care of a family of dogs even though he could barely take care of himself. The story definitely reminded me a lot of the book I read just two weeks ago, The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman, because the two books have similar themes. Joe and Hank even have one of the same interests: playing basketball. The climax of And Then, Boom! was absolutely terrifying, but Joe showed a lot of courage and I loved the ending so much, even if it left me with the question of where his mom went. I'd definitely recommend this book to any kid experiencing poverty and those who like stories of found family.

No comments:
Post a Comment